Topband: Bad PT-3 ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Bad PT-3 ?
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:30:18 EDT
I have been using an old Ameco PLF-2 for my Beverages and I didn't think it
was doing the job it needed to do on amplification, so I picked up a used Ameco
PT-3.

I never had a problem with BCI on 160 with either the Mark V with or without
the PLF-2.  However the PT-3 has made the entire 160 band alive with all kinds
of BCI every 10 kHz or so.  One of the signals is an airport beacon "AM"
which I found down on 388 kHz but am hearing on 1890.  I have only one close AM
station which is about five miles away but it is a fairly low power one on 1500
kHz, but with the amp on I hear it mixed with other signals.  However, not all
the BCI signals have that station mixed in.  The problem occurs with the
Beverages or the vertical, but disappears with the old PLF-2 or when I bypass
the
PT-3.  It occurs to a lesser degree on 80 meters using the Beverages or the
quads.  it disappears when the PT-3 is taken out.  On 40 it is pretty clean.

Did I get a dog?

Bill K4XS