Re: Topband: "Phased Verticals with Continuous Phase Control"

To: "Brian Moran" <brianmo@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Phased Verticals with Continuous Phase Control"
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 07:39:20 -0700
From: "Brian Moran" <brianmo@yahoo.com>

>I have the ARRL's Vertical Antenna Classics V3, and
> there's an article entitled "Phased Verticals with
> Continuous Phase Control" by KZ3K (Peter Anderson).
>
> The article details the use of a frequency-appropriate
> LC network to introduce phase shift between driven
> vertical elements. Rather than being overly precise
> about it, the article presents using such a network
> for transmitting and receiving much as one would use
> say the MFJ-1026 -- adjusting the phase shift network
> for max or minimum signal.
>
> Has anyone tried this as laid out in the article?
>
> One thing that seems a little glossed over is that the
> phase shift network is designed for 52 ohm inputs and
> outputs, with antennas that are 'roughly equivalent
> impedance'. Sounds like keywords for 'in theory', but
> would appreciate anyone's comments, especially those
> with practical experience with this.
>
> Thanks! Brian N9ADG

A friend of mine built a QRO version of this unit for a local
DXer. I saw the unit when we toured this fellows shack
a few months ago. It peaked my curiousity as I have always
wanted to build a unit like this. Unfortunately, our visit was
short, so I didn't get any details other than being referred
back to the original article. The DXer gave it glowing praise
(he was using it to phase two 20 meter monobanders on
different towers).

I'll see my friend next weekend. If I think of it, I'll try to get
some details.