Topband: Another Boring night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Another Boring night
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:37:13 -0700
One of the neat things about chasing DX from Oregon is that the band is
hardly ever open - so for years on end, you can spend time with the
family and take care of chores.

Now I know what a problem it is to be on the east coast - with Europe
coming in most every night.  I don't know how you guys can cope with
it.

A second consecutive red letter day - with 35 Europeans logged - many
were not worked so far this season.  Great to hear ON4UN and GM3POI join
the party.

The opening started differently than the previous day.  I could not hear
the SM/OH stations at first, but was teased by S58A who I could hear 30
minutes before my sunset.  I wouldn't be able to raise him until much
closer to sunset - but it was a quick indication that the band was again
in good shape.  The opening seemed to furthur south as an OM and SV were
my next two QSOs.  The QSO with SV3RF was pretty easy - much easier than
I remember my SV8JE QSOs from the previous sunspot minimum.

After a bit, the northern stations started coming in - and SP5EWY who I
could not hear the previous night was 579.  Had many responses to my CQs
this time - lots of fun to give out a new state to some.

The highlight for me was pulling YO2LDC out for a new country.

5Z4DZ didn't make it to Oregon - but glad some 7's got him (from Utah).
Hopefully, this will be a new country/zone for me soon.

Maybe we should try to put some of these conditions in a bottle for the
Stew Perry contest!

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR
tree@kkn.net