Topband: CARRIER ON 1829.25

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CARRIER ON 1829.25
From: "Mr. and Mrs. Magoo" <magoo@isp.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:39:46 -0500
A carrier has been present at my QTH on or about this frequency for several
years now, but at a much lower signal strength than recently.  I was not
aware that there were two distinct carriers-I have only ever heard one.  Its
frequency has varied from 1829+/- to 1830 +/-, and it made working DX
impossible at times. I never paid it much attention and wrote it off as
"just one of those things" we put up with on 160M.

As I type this (1417Z) signal strength is about S-7 and peak is "somewhere"
between 60-110 degrees ( my 20M monobander
hears it quite nicely and there seems to be a peak on rotation in this
direction, though I did not rotate to the west or northwest).

Just now (1420Z) the carrier abruptly ceased, followed by a short warble and
then nothing.  Tuning up the band I find the carrier now at 1830.3, still
S-7 but with QSB and accompanied by a warble just high of the frequency.
Still a peak between 60-110 degrees from my QTH.

At 1428Z the carrier either disappeared or dropped into my noise level.

Hope this helps someone figure out the source.

Bill, VE3CSK