Topband: Coil form material

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Coil form material
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:34:42 -0800
Topbanders,

I have made a loading coil for 160 meters of # 3 solid copper wire,
turns spaces about 1/4" apart, and 7" wide.  It is air wound except the
coil holds its shape with two 12" by 1" by 1/8" pieces of polycarbonate
- one on each side. Each turn passes though a small hole  in the
material (each piece is drilled with say 12 holes and the wire is wound
through the holes - one on each side of the coil.

My question is this: will I get better performance if I use a different
material to hold the coil in shape? I am told the dielectric constant of
the polycarbonate is 4.2; whereas Teflon is 2.0 and Delrin is 3.7  Is
there a meaningful difference in these materials for my purposes at 160
meters?

As always your help is very much appreciated.

73,

Bob/AA6VB