Re: Topband: DX Engineering RX Four-Square

To: <philc@texascellnet.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Earl W Cunningham" <k6se@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering RX Four-Square
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:05:12 -0500
> I feel that, in additon to their precaution, any resonant
tx vertical
> should be detuned during rx periods to prevent in-band
signals received
> on the tx antenna being re-radiated into the 4-square
(which would
> degrade the 4-square's directional qualities).

The amount of signal re-radiation (undesired re-radiated
power) from a given transmitting antenna is the same no
matter what receiving antenna is near it. There might be a
small random difference in how different antennas respond,
depending both on the reradiating structure and the
receiving antenna construction and type. It would be luck of
the draw thing.

Nearfield interactions that affect performance are largely
driven by luck. Also with a poor F/R we won't notice the
interaction as much. If you have 40 dB F/R and something
gets in the front that reradiates signals from the rear, it
is very noticeable. If the F/R is only 10dB you'd never
notice the change.

73 Tom