Topband: QSO coordination

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QSO coordination
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:01:13 -0500
Folks:

If we were designing an experiment to test the ionosphere for
shifting propagation, and trying to correlate it with something
else...like sunspots or magnetic anomalies....we'd surely coordinate
our send and receive efforts.

Is spotting (self or otherwise) anything more?  Is it any different
than swapping postcards with w1bb, except for the speed?  Or having a
fellow club member one-ring you when a needed station shows up? In the early
days of EME and in the early tropo experiments, work was coordinated.
Why not on topband?

Two good things (for me) came from Tree's post:

The lowband coordination website, and Spectrascan.   To wit:

"people think that part of the reason the band sound dead sometimes is
because nobody is on.  With this tool, I can quickly get someone in Europe
to call CQ on a specific frequency and see if I can "see" them.  Using the
program Spectran, I can see signals that my ears can't detect."

Which brings me to the topic of sub-noise detection.  If Tree is right in
his observation, then we should be able to apply narrowband techniques, or
synchronous detection using GPS coordinated clocks, or perhaps JT44 or some
similar code to lower our detection floor.  Is anyone even THINKING of
playing with same?

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org