Re: Topband: Beverage Suggestions/Comments

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Suggestions/Comments
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:04:25 -0600
Bill wrote:

...snip...

> >Would raising the antenna to 8-10 feet off the ground help any?
>
>         No, in fact that would degrade directivity.  If you could
> lower it to 2-3' you might notice some improvement.

...snip...
>                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

Is this a universal truth?  I was under the impression that this depended on
the quality of the soil conductivity.  E.g. good soil, raise it up.  Bad soil,
lower it.  Directivity is just one measure.  What about raw sensitivity?  Once
again, good ground, low=poor sensitivity.

Also, the author can make each beverage a bidirectional beverage and reduce the
number of installations needed by 50%.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com