Re: Topband: TRANSFORMER QUESTION

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: TRANSFORMER QUESTION
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:48:08 -0500
Bill,

If you are using the autoformer (single winding with a tap) design
from Tom's web site, I'm not surprised to hear about the limited high
frequency response. Autoformers are not particularly broadband (see
Fig. 3-12 in W2FMI's Transmission Line Transformers book). And they
can be sensitive to winding technique, but more so on a toroid than a
binocular core.

I'd recommend a transformer with separate primary/secondary
windings.  5 turns / 7 turns on the same BN202-73 core will give you
an accurate 1:2 impedance ratio and will easily cover from BCB to 20M.

73, Gary
K9AY