Re: Topband: Conditions

To: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:00:51 -0700
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:04 AM
Subject: Topband: Conditions
SNIP
> There were mis-givings after moving the "L" about the rather inordinately
> LONG feedline needed to couple it to the shack --- 200+ feet as compared
> to the original 15', or so ---
SNIP

> ~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Eddy,

As you have found out, the losses at 1.8 mHz are so minimal that long
feedlines have very little overall loss.  At the XZ0A DXped site on the
island off the coast of Burma in 2000, we installed the 160 Meter elevated
Ground Plane TX antenna beyond the 40 Meter 4-square and the 80 Meter
4-square.  The overall length to the feedpoint was a bit over 300'.  ALL
feedlines used by the DXped were RG-8X.  Even with over 300' of this
feedline to the Topband TX antenna and more than 200' to the feed points of
the 80 Meter elements on the 4-square, the performance was excellent.  I
doubt we would have noticed a difference had we been able to afford,
transport and install 1/2" Heliax.

73 de Milt, N5IA