Topband: Inverted L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted L
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:45:41 -0800 (PST)
1. Yes, in general... However the 3/8 moves the current lobe  up the wire...
So, lessened ground heating may offset the change in the main angle of
radiation...  Try it at a quarter wave until you have a feel for the antenna
then try the 3/8.... It's only minimal work to make the change if you have the
supports for the end...

2. Radials are a fluid subject... The best would be 120 @ 1 wave...  You are
unlikely to want to do this... If you are going to have fewer radials then
shorter is
 better...
 Without knowing your level of energy or committment, I would suggest getting
in 30 radials approximately 1/4 wavelength, than add more as you see fit...
Anything more than 50 radials is gilding the lily for a small percentage of
improvement, i.e. to improve on 30 you will need at least 50... To improve on
50 you need 100+, etc... If you can get near a 100 radials then longer is
better...

3. On the ground is fine.. Elevated is just an obstacle course... Under the
ground is great, if you are into hard work, self flagellation, etc... One can
use a power
 lawn edger to cut the slits in the ground but it is still work to install the
wire...

4. Leave the fence alone.. Don't tie the ends of the radials into it... Don't
tie the ends of the radials to anything...   Like sleeping dogs, let them be...

5. Inverted-L is not better than the Tee for DX work...  The Tee is the best
for low
 angle radiation... I don't know that you can conveniently support both ends of
 Tee, but if so then it is recommended... An Inverted-L has some high angle
 radiation that is nice for local contacts... The Tee will have a lower
impedence
 than the L at the feedpoint, so matching becomes an issue...

My advice is to avoid making this hard work... Put up the Tee or the L, run
some radials and operate... When you feel like it run some more radials and
operate... Etc...

cheers  ...  denny  - k8do