Topband: SGC MiniLini

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: SGC MiniLini
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:11:35 -0500
        I was reading ARRL's latest on-line Product
Review for the SGC SG-500 SmartPowerCube
Linear Amplifier.  In that review they mentioned
that the MiniLini will be introduced soon.  This 500W
amplifier weighs <5 pounds including power supply
for $600 (including 20m module).  Extra band modules
are available for $275:

http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Brochures/MiniLini.pdf
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/amps/0479.html

If SGC will make this available with a 160m module
for $600, it may be the perfect expedition amplifier
for Topband operation.  DU9/N0NM's recent trip to
4W3ZZ or HB9AMO's trip to TT8AMO come to mind.
Hopefully they will make a 240V version available in
addition to 120V.  At this price, we could chip in and
make a few available to worthy Topband expeditions
as loaners (like the Battle Creek Special).

        Will be interesting to watch this.  Paired
with a rig like the Elecraft K2/100, you would have
an extremely lightweight, compact and capable 500W
Topband station.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV