Topband: Topband crud

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband crud
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:39:56 -0800
OK, topbanders--here's a crud problem I could use some help with.

I noted that a segment between roughly 1815 and 1822 contained a steady
carrier at 1818.09 and discrete sidebands either side, spaced 85 Hz, clearly
visible on a Spectran display. Further, this was only manifested when
listening on my Beverages but with no directional differentiation, and the
signals were virtually undiscernible when listening on the TX antenna,
essentially a bent dipole at 130 feet or so radiating mostly up and away
from the station. This suggested that the source was very local.

I then recalled that 85 Hz was mymonitor's vertical refresh rate.

I use a ViewSonic 19" CRT monitor in XGA 85 mode. When I lowered the
vertical refresh rate to 75 Hz, the unwanted crud moved up about 20 kHz, and
the sideband spacing became 75 Hz. OK, mystery solved--but the question
remains: how to solve this so that I don't have to choose what part of 160
to have screwed up.

I presume the monitor electronics are directly radiating into the radio.
Before I start the usual brute force appraoches--ferrites, cable re-routing,
etc, do any of you have some mitigation ideas?

Garry, NI6T