Topband: Beverage above chain link fence

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage above chain link fence
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:10:55 -1000
Hi all,

Probably the only way I will ever have a Beverage antenna at this QTH is
to run it along the top of a chain link fence. I understand that a
Beverage really needs to have poor to mediocre ground under it in order
that the wave tilt will induce current in the Beverage wire. So running
it above a chain link fence may make it not function as a Beverage
antenna at all. I also realize that one more receive antenna option that
can be selected is better than not having that option, even if it
doesn't work optimally. I'd would like to hear your opinions about the
utility of this antenna. Is it worth trying? How high above the chain
link fence would be good? What if it could only be a few inches? How
about weaving the wire in the chain link? (I suspect that would be
useless, but what the heck)

Thanks,

Ken N6KB