Re: Topband: K9AYLoop Grounding

To: "Paul Baldock" <pbaldock@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AYLoop Grounding
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:02:40 -0600
> The consensus for grounding Beverages seems to be to use a "real
> transformer" and have isolated grounds for the antenna and the coax.
>
> Does the same apply to the K9AY antenna? Has anybody tried it both
> ways and seen a difference?
>
> Paul - KW7Y

Paul,

The commercial units we make do not have an isolated ground.  In theory, an
isolated ground would minimize the potential of common-mode problems, but in
my experience, that potential is very small with moderate length, buried or
on-ground cables.

I would recommend feedline isolation in the following extreme
circumstances -- extremely poor ground (e.g. desert sand), very long
feedline and control line, feedline that must cross the TX radials, and
feedline that is elevated above ground for a portion of its length. That
isolation can be 1) transformer with separate primary and secondary, 2)
ferrite beads, 3) coiled feedline, perhaps through a toroid, or 4) feedline
buried for at least a portion of its length.

Finally, do no confuse re-radiation and common-mode -- signals re-radiated
by the TX antenna, other towers, or nearby metal are received directly by
the antenna. This is more likely to be an issue with a K9AY Loop, since it
may be installed near potential re-radiation sources.

73, Gary
K9AY