Re: Topband: Vertical construction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical construction
From: "Patrick W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 05:33:28 -0800

Big Snip...

> Not sure what you're saying here.  Does the bowline go around
> the irrigation tubing, or just the hose clamp?  I'm concerned
> if the guys tension would have to be handled by the hose
> clamp; they can strip out.  I would prefer that the hose
> clamp only keeps the guy from slipping down the mast.
>
> Rick N6RK

Regarding the "...hose clamps stripping..." comment - that would usually be
in reference to the "perforated" clamps that are most commonly sold in auto
parts and hardware stores. Please be aware that there is another type of
hose clamp available that is not perforated and supports much higher torque
values. These types are used in marine applications where the vessel owner
would actually rather not have his boat sink. The key search term is "AWAB"
(for the vendor I am most familiar with).

These clamps cost more but for a good reason. The band is not perforated,
the edges are rolled rather than being razor sharp and AWAB makes them with
materials that are all 316 stainless rather than the perforated types where
one vendor managed to license the "All Stainless" moniker for their product
yet the screw assembly rusts into dust in a saltwater environment in short
order.

Below are a couple of links for vendors who carry this style clamp and serve
as references only. Do your own search on AWAB and find your source of
choice. The usual no affiliation disclaimer applies.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m/action/ViewManufacturerSkuList/mfrId/769/awab.h
tml

http://store.tackletogo.com/awwogeclsoba.html

The Actual Vendor - http://www.awabllc.com/

There are other sources of similar designs but hopefully this will get you
started on your search.

73,

Patrick
W7TMT