Re: Topband: RM 11305/11306

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <dbowker@mail.sjv.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RM 11305/11306
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:22:58 -0800
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

> This proposal is moronic. There is no other way to describe
> it.

Not entirely. The Think Tank guys make a good point in that
the most optimum spectrum allocation scheme is a dynamic
one. You sort of see that during contests when spectrum that
normally isn't used for a particular mode fills up (40 meter
phone down to 7015 KHz during CQ WW SSB and 10
meter CW up to 28150 during a high sunspot CQ WW CW).

> They want all mode and bandwidth rules removed. I can't
> imagine anyone, with the exception of people who enjoy
> causing problems, supporting that plan.

That is the problem. The 1% of the population who didn't
get enough attention from mommy and daddy or whose
DNA got too many cosmic ray hits during gestation might
decide its "cute" to run a phone net everyday on 3503
KHz. The only way to make it work would be to put some
teeth into the voluntary bandplans. The national societies
would set the bandplans, but FCC could step in a rule in
the event that one of the aforementioned miscreants was
thumbing his or her nose at everyone by doing something
troublesome just for the sake of being a jerk.This is done
now with frequency coordination on VHF. The FCC
defers to the local frequency coordinators to assign repeater
pairs, but they can step in if necessary. Pushing the
coordination down to the national societies would allow
for a more dynamic system that could respond to changes
in technology more quickly than a scheme that relied on
the FCC rulemaking process. That is the disadvantage of
the ARRL plan. It tries to look into the future to guess
how thing are going to look down the road. If it gets it
wrong, then we have to go through another cycle of FCC
rulemaking to fix it (which may not be as bad as it sounds
if things don't change too quickly).

> Essentially it
> would turn the amateur bands into a place where the
> individual operator's judgment determines what mode and
> bandwidth he puts in what part of the band.

Actually it sort of works. For the most part, people respect
the DX window on 75 meters despite the fact that it is totally
voluntary and this is on the band/mode segment that is
considered by most people to be the worst of the worst in
terms of attracting mal-adjusted hams.  It works reasonably
well on 160 (contests non-withstanding).

> I can't believe anyone who understands radio communications
> and the nature of people would every support such a concept.
> Maybe it is a tongue-in-cheek mirror of the ARRL plan. They
> want a new way of keeping order, so someone else decided to
> ask for a new way to create chaos.
>
> 73 Tom

One of my old college buddies W8LX appears to be in the
"Think Tank". He's always had a bit of a devilish streak in him,
so I suppose its possible that the whole thing is a big joke :):)