Re: Topband: Split frequency working

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Split frequency working
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:22:46 +0000
Jeff Maass wrote:
> With stations packed as tight as they are during the
> upcoming CQWW 160 CW, I'm not at all sure it's practical
> to use two frequencies at a time...
> The alternative I'm trying from my end is to tack the call
> of the station I'm calling to the end of each exchange....

During my one and only experience as "rare DX" (operating KH6GPQ in the
second weekend of the 1975 ARRL CW DX Test), K1GQ taught me that
technique for improving my lowband pileup management and QSO rate.
Since then I've always appreciated its use by DX stations that have
attracted large pileups on 80 and 160.

If you do what you suggest, as well as make it clear by your actions
that you're going to stick with a specific partial call until you've
logged a good QSO, you will have gone a long way toward managing the
(simplex) pileup and maximizing your rate without having to resort to
split operation.

Bud, W2RU