Topband: Clicks, Buzz, Spurs, etc.

To: "Gary Nichols" <kd9sv@comcast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Clicks, Buzz, Spurs, etc.
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:20:17 -0500
KD9SV wrote:

>Bill, FWIW a lot of the xmit problems you describe below can be caused by
>guys using RX antennas with no way to disconnect them during transmit.
>There are many common circuits shared by RX and TX on modern transceivers
>and the RF overload from one's own TX signal getting back into the xcvr
>makes some of those circuits go bonkers resulting in a lot of spurious
>emissions...I had that problem with my Ten-Tec Corsair II many years
>ago...de gary, kd9sv

         Very good point Gary!  The main thing is to
thoroughly and carefully check out all reports of poor
signals.  Many causes can easily be fixed.  Also it
is always good to make checks with someone who
is competent in using their own equipment (e.g. with
their Noise Blanker off, using RX with a known good
front-end, etc).

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV