Re: Topband: RM-11305

To: "David Gilbert" <rimradio@direcway.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RM-11305
From: "RMarch" <n7ua@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:20:53 -0800

> What kind of thought process could come up with that conclusion?

Let me speculate a little.  The FCC is not enfatuated with ham radio.  We
make it difficult to give power companys and other business interests what
they want.  Enforcement issues take time and resources, which the FCC is
short on right now.  It's easy: with fewer regulations there is less to
enforce, workload goes down. That's the benign neglect theory.
     I also have a more sinister hypothesis. It goes something like this:
The FCC wants ham radio to die.   By relegating it to a series of band
spectrums filled with chaos, it creates a situation which invites radical
change later.  It also diminishes the hobby further and discourages anyone
who participates.  Ham radio spectrum becomes just another group of CB like
frequencies.
    Just like good fences make good neighbors, definitive band/mode
allocations make for good communications.  This is fundamentally not what
the FCC wants for the future of Ham Radio.  Bob,  N7UA