Topband: Carriers on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Carriers on 160
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:50:38 -0500
I recently finished an array of K9AY loops for 160, and am now hearing things I
never heard before.  In particular, there are weak carriers on 1810, 1820 and
1830 KHz.  They are apparently skywave, since they go away once the sun is up.
My array points only NE (at this point).  The carriers don't seem to have any
modulation, but they are too weak to be certain.  I assume they are not AM
broadcast harmonics because they aren't at 20 KHz intervals.  Some sort of
mixing products, maybe?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3085 contest stations