Re: Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding

To: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160M Contest and a question about shunt feeding
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:48:41 -0500
no reactance.  Another question is whether anyone thinks it
would be of any value to add some top loading to that tower
while we are at it.  I just need about 1.5 dB on him and I
think I can get him.....

I don't think there has ever been anything that indicates
even 5dB on transmitting makes a difference in winning or
losing unless you are often near noise floor level when
other stations hear you.

A good example of this is when N4PN operated here. I had
moved some equipment and left a ground lead off a box, and
my directional array was locked on Europe through the whole
contest. That's a 20-30dB handicap in other directions. He
still won and even set a new record (I think).

The key to winning a 160 contest is receiving. After that
comes receiving, and then operating and then last 5 or ten
dB on transmitting.

I had constant computer crashes in the ARRL 160, lost many
hours of operating time, lost maybe 100 QSO's in paper
notes, slept one night, and won. That didn't happen because
I'm a good op. I'd have no trouble getting a certificate
saying I am not. It happened because my system can hear
fairly well on 160.

After looking at what happens I'm totally convinced hearing
is everything, with everything else a distant second or
third.

All that aside changing the feed system will give you
bandwidth, not any noticeable FS increase. Change it if it
makes you feel better, but if you want to win do something
to help the receiver.

73 Tom