Topband: Don't give up on the MFJ 1026!

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Don't give up on the MFJ 1026!
From: Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:00:48 -0600
Maybe the 1026 has not helped null your noise problems, but there is another
very useful mode of this fine unit!

I learned this technique from my good friend Tom, W8JI.

Bring up the gain controls of the MAIN and AUX inputs (check to see what levels
of each control cause the same S-meter reading for a signal in the target area).
Use the PHASE control to NULL the signal in the target area. You may need to
adjust GAIN controls slightly to get the best NULL.
Once the signal in the target area is NULLED, then reverse the PHASE (button
switch rotates phase (inverts) 180 degrees). Now you are on the perfect PEAK of
the signal in the target area!

I use this procedure to null stronger European stations or JA stations and then
when INVERTING the phase many weaker signals jump out of the noise in the target
area! You must check the null as conditions change through the opening.

The difference with and without the 1026 is AMAZING!

The 1025/1026 is one tool I can't live without on the TopBand!

Thanks to Tom, W8JI for designing a super box!

73!
Tim K3LR

http://www.k3lr.com