Topband: Preamp for Urban Enviroment?

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Preamp for Urban Enviroment?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 07:58:57 -0500
While I've gotten my RX antennas up in time for the CQ160 contest, I
won't have the fabulous (beats s *every* other filter by a long shot)
WB5WPA's AM Brickwall Filter for the CQ160 test -- I fried it, Jim (the
designer/builder) has it hasn't returned it (or my emails and calls, for
that matter).

So my issue comes down to preamps. I've been using KD9SV's DXPedition
model with Jim's filter, and it was fine.  Without it, it isn't so
great. Can someone recommend others? They'd be indoor, fed by 75 ohm
coax (at least for the time being). I'd really prefer one with a
built-in antenna switch like Gary's, as I have (or at least hope to
have) a filter in line after the antenna switch but before the preamp.

I'm familiar with some manufacturers from my days in the satellite
world, but have no experience with any others in the topband world.

Again, looking for a preamp that has decent gain but better
'interference rejection' characteristics for those of us in an
urban/noisy/intermode inducing environment.

See you this weekend in the CQ 160 -- forgive me if my ears and
operating aren't so great :-)

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC