Re: Topband: CQWW160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:49:36 -0800
>          Thank you again Vlad for identifying this
> problem!  Had you not done so, I suspect nothing
> would have been changed.  I feel your timing was
> perfect to get the appropriate attention on this
> problem.

I think it should be pointed out that the problem here wasn't the log
checking.  The log checking did determine that half of the log was
"incorrect" and the QSOs were taken out.

Perhaps K4JRB is guilty of assuming that anyone who sent in a log
was on the up-and-up and wasn't trying to pull a fast one.  His log
checking did remove QSOs that were not-in-log for the logs received.

The fact that other QSOs were not removed (I assume) is because logs
were not received from the other stations.  It takes a lot more work
to start finding those calls and removing them.

It also takes another step to look over the checking results and
determine that a log is really a false log.

In the contests I do log checking for, I see logs with from people who
obviously have a problem with the Morse code.  They will have error rates
in the 50 percent range.  However, they get one, give out QSOs, and do
their best to improve.

Should all of these logs be thrown out?  It isn't easy to determine
the difference between one of these cases and a false log.

While the actions taken might indeed produce change - I think that
the problem could have been handled in a different way.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net