Topband: CQ 160 WW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 WW
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:21:19 -0500
I wrote:
 >          My feeling is this:  In a contest nobody "owns"
 > their frequency if they deafly calling CQ-ing on top of DX.
 > People doing that should not be CQ-ing in the first place,

N2IC replied:
 >Careful....That comment means that no one west of the Mississippi River
should be CQing before 0800Z, since, by definition, we would be CQing on
top of EU DX that we can't hear.

         Steve, this might be a better example for Westerners.
JA's are only in the 1810-1825 area.  I don't feel anyone has
any business CQ-ing in that area unless they have adequate
RX antennas to actually hear JA's answer.  They should not be
using that part of the band before sunrise simply to run USA.
There are other areas of the band where they can probably work
more USA due to less QRM.  Likewise, stations that cannot hear
EU can go below 1810 or above 1850 where they are less likely
to QRM EU.

         I can hear Japan and do often CQ in the JA window
before sunrise.  However, if I hear someone answer a JA on
my frequency that I cannot hear, I have the sense to move
until propagation is there.  If I am underneath a JA, how can
I expect a JA to hear me?  I always listen to what is going
on underneath and around me.  If you happen to be on ON4UN
who you cannot hear, do you expect to be getting East Coast
stations answering you when he is 599 here?  I don't think so.

         This really is common sense, being aware of what is
going on around you and not taking offense at someone who is
working something you cannot hear on "your" frequency.  To the
contrary, take that as information and decide whether you
should move or stay.  This applies no matter which coast you
are on.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV (an ex-W0)