Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 WW
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 05:19:40 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:21 PM
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 WW

>I wrote:
> >          My feeling is this:  In a contest nobody "owns"
> > their frequency if they deafly calling CQ-ing on top of DX.
> > People doing that should not be CQ-ing in the first place,
>N2IC replied:
> >Careful....That comment means that no one west of the Mississippi River
>should be CQing before 0800Z, since, by definition, we would be CQing on
>top of EU DX that we can't hear.
>         Steve, this might be a better example for Westerners.
>JA's are only in the 1810-1825 area.  I don't feel anyone has
>any business CQ-ing in that area unless they have adequate
>RX antennas to actually hear JA's answer.  They should not be
>using that part of the band before sunrise simply to run USA.
>There are other areas of the band where they can probably work
>more USA due to less QRM.  Likewise, stations that cannot hear
>EU can go below 1810 or above 1850 where they are less likely
>to QRM EU.

I had this problem Sunday morning. An East coast big gun was calling
CQ an hour after his sunrise on ~1815 KHz just a few hundred Hz above
me. His S7 clicks were covering the JAs who were calling me. I didn't
want to move because there weren't any other holes in the JA window,
so I just toughed it out, but it was really frustrating because he
was working other east coast station who were up sipping there Sunday
morning coffee which he could have done just as effectively above
1835 KHz. In the other direction, I heard a VE7 calling CQ in the DX
window on Friday night. He had no clue that the people he was trying
to send reports to were not really coming back to him, but rather
calling CU2A who was underneath him.
On the bright side, this is all a symptom of the high activity levels
in the contest which isn't a bad problem to have.