Re: Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202

To: andy@wellbrook.uk.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:55:58 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2006 11:06:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
andy.ikin@btinternet.com writes:

My experience is based on the use  of these cores in receiving antenna
applications ( low noise transformer  feedback amplifiers ), over the past 9
years I
have wound thousands of  transformers using two hole type 43 material cores
and to my knowledge no  failures have been attributed to either shorted turns
or wires touching the  core. However, I have recently noticed that some
Fair-rite cores ( made in Red  China ) have a rough surface compared to US
manufacture, I have yet to  determine whether this may be problem!!!

73s

Andy  Ikin  G8LUG

Thanks Andy - and all the others. I have made 5 of these based on Tom's
designs shown on his site and ON4UN's new book and so far no issues with the
non
protected 1 turn primary. However, I semi-pot mine by putting a dab of epoxy
on  each end of the transformer which not only keeps water out of the holes but
 keeps the wires tight. And I like to pull the turns tight so that I can
effect  maximum physical separation of the windings. Perhaps I'll find a larger
teflon  sleeve for the holes and also continue to use the smaller teflon tubing
within  that.