Re: Topband: Topband and the DX-Window

To: <herbs@surfvi.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband and the DX-Window
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:11:18 -0500
Herb said: "I can't help but notice the vast difference in high
quality of operators on 160 compared to ... 40 CW".

Perhaps some portion of "gentleman's band" persists due to issues more
physical than personality, issues that severely reduce the ham
population that can show up for a given pileup...

Its really hard to get up 160 antennas that work. I have this
persistent impression that as actually implemented, most 160m antennas
stink.

It's the only ham band with a quarter wavelength over one hundred
feet.

It's hard to do 160m antennas on a quarter acre lot in a metro area
with the highest available support point at 45'.

The SB-200 and SB-220 do not have 160m on them.

More than other bands, 160m will expose just about any weakness in a
receiver.

On 160m in the summer levels of QRN are astounding, merely
band-killing at times during the winter.

Non-intuitive receiving antennas, and learning how they work, are
required for a lot of desirable contacts.

One must really WORK to get on 160 and be something other than a
perpetual stompee in a pileup.

73, Guy.

Scanned for viruses by Blue Coat
http://www.WinProxy.com/