Re: Topband: Topband :Beacons

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband :Beacons
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:13:34 +0200

Tom wrote;

>Personally I think unless we are doing a propagation study
>the best idea is an established calling frequency and a CQ.
>When someone answers, move off!

This sounds good in theory but the attempt to get useful qsy info
(frequency) over to the other op may mean a lost qso.
But I suppose that is al part of making the qso even more valid( more
unknown information, not just RST)
Unless a simple 2 up or 5 down is used of course.

This is where the cluster spots are useful, you can announce yourself on any
open frequency , call cq and work the dx (using your radio of course!) It is
almost better than a beacon and uses no more radio bandwidth than a cq
would. You can see on the cluster who is working the dx so it provides more
info on band conditions.
But the Almighty forbid one from announcing yourself on the cluster, as it
comparable to the darkest sins of man.
So because of a few LIDs, abusing the clusters for their own gain, we are
thinking about beacons and where to place them instead of using the tools
that are there already but because these 'tools' are forbidden, (we want to
be known as good ops)we don't use it?
I personally do not have an internet connection in my radio room, so I would
check the cluster sometimes (as I have to carry the laptop to the connection
point, unpack it, connect it. Then, afterwards, disconnect it.(To scared I
will pop my modem !)
All this is a hassle so my qso's are cluster free! But, its a great tool.
Now I will wait for the flames!
73
Raoul
ZS1REC