Re: Topband: TopBand Beacons

To: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: TopBand Beacons
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:33:29 -0500 (EST)
My two cents:  I support beacons for a different reason.  Every ham
sitting listening to a beacon is one less that will clobber me when I
call the DX!

It seems to me that beacons on VHF, or even HF, may help spot openings
but on 160 the best DX is worked during very short periods of enhancement
to highly specific areas.  Dozens of reports of such prop have shown
up on this reflector this winter.  There are also lots of signals on
freqs adjacent to 160m which would seem to me to be adequate "beacons".

Lets not waste KHz on anything else.

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place