Re: Topband: ty aftermath

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ty aftermath
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:08:15 -0800
On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:14:25PM -0500, W7lr@aol.com wrote:

> The frustration comes from two  points of view - one, not having much
> chance (whine) and the other is to read  about the glorious contacts
> with s9+ signals, using qrp or wet noodles, etc -  but all in favorable
> spotlight areas.

:-)  It sure is a lot easier to listen to people talk about their success
when you are one of them.

Such is life when you live on the wrong coast.  Sure - if the TY had spent
a lot more time on 160 at their sunrise, we probably could have worked them,
but it is impossible to know (in real time) what factors went into to them
not being there.

Certainly - for a small crew - it is difficult to put a WA6CDR type effort
in on 160 when the rates are probably 3 or 4X higher on the other bands.

It was great to be able to hear them at all - and hopefully, the
disappointment that Bob and I share will turn into ectasy someday in
the future when someone else goes there.  Or until the S0 or YV0 show
up.  The YV0 will be interesting here - as Bob and I are both scheduled
to be at the Visalia DX convention at the start of their trip - and if
they don't spend more than 5 days, we will not have a shot at them.

Another factor that might work against us is the impression that many
non-USA stations have that the USA is rather small.  We have the same
issue thinking about Europe.  Both are very large and working one part
of it doesn't mean that you have covered the whole area.

Even India which I recently visited is a very large place - with much
different propagation from different parts of it at different times.
I see some other VU2 stations showing up in the USA logs hours after
my opening in the south of the country was over.

Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net