Topband: Assembly of Softrocks for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Assembly of Softrocks for 160m
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:17:40 -0400
G?day Bill

I saw the recent email from Tod K0TO about using
a third party to assemble a V6 SoftRock for 160m
and thought those on the reflector might be
interested in a few practical hints about
assembling a Softrock by hand.  Although I have
not assembled a V6, I have built a V4 and my
soldering skills are strictly average.

The first thing everyone who builds anything
using SMD components is the feeling that they are
just too small to see and handle.  A magnifying
visor makes a huge difference in this respect ?
and gave me the courage to go ahead and build a
SoftRock by hand.  The other essential
ingredients are a needle-point soldering iron tip
and 0.5mm solder (although I did manage to build
mine using a Weller with a 2 - 3mm tip width..).

A magnifying glass is also useful in combination
with the magnifying visor to look closely at
soldered joints to see how well you have done!

Chip capacitors and SMD ICs can be soldered in
place by tinning one of the pads with solder,
holding the component in place with a toothpick
or a finger (easier than you would think) and
soldering one end/one pin.  It is then relatively
straightforward to solder the other
connection/connections.  Tony Parks KB9YIG
provides excellent instructions for his SoftRock
kits on carrying out their assembly.

I found building a SoftRock by hand immensely
satisfying and would recommend the
experience.  Whilst I do have jewellery making in
my genes, I make my living tapping at a computer
keyboard and have short, stubby fingers.

Quite a few topbanders have built Elecraft K2s ?
if you are one of these, then a SoftRock should be no problem.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ