Re: Topband: Grounding, Cadweld One-Shot source

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Grounding, Cadweld One-Shot source
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:26:30 +0000
Tim:

     Comments embedded below.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "k3hx@juno.com" <k3hx@juno.com>

> I'm improving the grounding at my station and need a source for
>
> Cadweld One-Shot devices.  I've cleaned out RF Connections of the
>
> ones I can use.  I will be using 5/8" x 8' copper-clad rods.
>

> Also, has anyone brazed the grounding wire (got a great deal on many
>
> feet of #2) to the rod.  Suggestions regarding this method welcomed.
>

> How much better is the exothermic technique compared to the mechanical
>
> clamping method?

     Exothermic is unquestionably better because the wire and rod become fused
into one mass of conductive material of low resistance.  In the case of a
mechanical clamp, the resistance of the final connection will depend upon the
mechanical force used at the connection's surfaces.  A bolted-type connection
will become loose over time due to numerous heat-cool cycles of the seasons.
That's why you are urged to retighten such connections periodically.

     A mechanical connection that seems to be more reliable is:
http://www.erico.com/products/HAMMERLOCK.asp .  I have no first-hand experience
with these but the drawing seems to show a permanent mechanical connection
method is the result.  Much better than conventional bolted connections.

> If I have to use direct-burial clamps, in a daisy-chain setup, do I
>
> have to break the wire at each rod and use 2 clamps or can I just
>
> go in the bottom and out the top using 1 clamp.

With mechanical clamps, don't break the ground wire if you can avoid it.   But
with either the above mechanical connection or with conventional bolted ground
clamps, you will need to string all the clamps onto the wire before you affix
them.  With exothermic connections you can break the wire to install the
connection.  As I wrote above, the final connection in that case will be a
single mass of conductor atop the ground rod.