Re: Topband: Loop discussion

To: "Rudy Severns" <rudys@ordata.com>,"Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Loop discussion
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:32:26 -0500
Subject: Topband: Loop discussion

> This current loop antenna discussion has been replayed continuously since
> the 1920's in both professional and amateur circles, usually with more
smoke
> than light.
>
> If you want to know how a loop works get a copy of:
>
> R.E. Burgess, The Screen Loop Aerial, Wireless world, October 1939, Vol.
16,
> page 492
>
> There are also other discussions and references in Terman, Jasik, etc.
>
> A small loop is just a Faraday's law device.  If you understand Faraday
(V=n
> (dphi/dt)) and a dash of Ampere's law, the discussion converges quickly.
>
> 73, Rudy N6LF
*****************************

...I only wish we could generate a good thread here re. GROUNDED
"half-loops" for transmitting...!

THAT application seems to be an obscure one, and save for the minutest of
details that I've seen in a mere handful of publications, appears to be
swathed in mystery & conjecture.

Do you recall the BIG signal emitted on 160 this past season ---
consistently, too --- by G3FPQ...? He apparently runs a PAIR of grounded
half-loops, in phase. He was, by far, the proverbial "Beacon of Britain"
with that set-up. No one could come even close. Certainly got me thinking
here, but any experiments along these lines shall be limited to when the
final grass "...harvest" is in, sometime near the end of October...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ