Re: Topband: mystery low band antenna between Chevrol and Goujon,France

To: <eric@k3na.org>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: mystery low band antenna between Chevrol and Goujon,France (near St Emilion)
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:24:39 -0500
de K3NA

>    I am curious about the use and design of an unusual high
> power, low band antenna which I saw recently while cycling
> in France.  I wonder if anyone knows anything about it.

It's probably France Info on 1206 kHz (300 kW).  Open-wire coax is common
for power at this level, as is stub matching.  Slant-wire reflectors are
used to make broad directional patterns, usually with about 3 dB gain and
several dB F/B.  With the slant wire NE of the tower, it would beam into the
city of Bordeaux, and on to the coast.  This station is an easy one for US
BCB DXers to hear, since it is high power, beamed more-or-less our way, and
on a frequency that lies mid-way between the 10 kHz US channels.

73, Gary
K9AY