Topband: Winter's Dreams, Summer's Schemes...!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Winter's Dreams, Summer's Schemes...!
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:23:36 -0500
Good Sunny Afternoon All,

I've just come from the out-of-doors with an absolute epiphamy (sp?) as to what
I'm going to erect this season to support my 160-meter DX'ing activities...

The trees & one tower at the front of my property are PERFECT to support the
construction of a 3-element trianglular phased inverted "L" array. Each
vertical will be spaced 1/4-wavelength from the other, and I plan on using
135-degree phasing for the "lead" element(s). Of course, with such a set-up,
I'll have the choice at any time of running just two inverted "L's" --- this
way I can transmit NE/SW, SE/NW, or N/S, by virtue of the location of each
"L"...

With all three elements in play, the options (and theoretical gain) increase
even more.

Why did I fail to see these possibilities before...?! And we've lived in this
same QTH for over 15 years now, too!

As for receiving, I plan on augmenting my E/W K9AY loop with one that favours
N/S, as well --- I'll rig it up so that I can switch between the two, and in
one, or the other, of each direction offered by any one loop. The logistics of
switching the inverted "L's" on the other hand, still need to be worked out. I
have some VERY heavy-duty Centralab-type ceramic power rotary switches
accumulating dust in the junque boxxe here that are just aching to be put to
work. I'm sure I can figure it all out, with pen & paper in hand --- but,
barring that eventuality, I can always employ the tried & true "Armstrong"
method of disconnecting, & then reconnecting, PL-259's from/to the appropriate
termination point(s).

Too bad the lion's share of all this good work will have to be deferred until
the end of grass-cutting season here...still, that hasn't prevented me from
already erecting all three "L's"! I'll cut the wires for ground radials during
the course of the summer, and simply store them away pending "mothballing" of
the mower!

I think it's going to be a VERY interesting season on Top Band this time
around...

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ