Topband: First Top Band Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: First Top Band Antenna
From: John Cowan <w0tmm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
I would like to thank those who replied to my request for suggestions on Top
Band Antennas.

I had already planned to start with as many radials as I could fit into my
small lot. I figure it will take a minimum of 2000' of 16 ga copper wire to do
the job. I plan on building a radial plow because I want the wire below ground.
Too many copper thieves around here.

As for the antenna it will be an inverted L. I have another structure 130' away
to attach the end to. Based upon the materials available I plan on the vertical
wire being 8' from the tower. The horizontal wire will have to slope down about
18'.

I would like opinions on whether to place a trap at the top so I could use it
on 80 meters as well ad 160 meters?

As for the receiving antenna I am leaning toward the K6STI Square. Opinions
welcome.

John W0TMM