Re: Topband: A question of efficiency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: A question of efficiency
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:59:27 -0400
>>Now, my question it this:  Which is more efficient (less lossy)?

(A) Bringing the antenna to resonance with the loading section, and then
matching to the line with the L-network?

Or,

(B) Matching the non-resonant antenna directly with the L-network, omitting
the loading section altogether?

K5ZK - Charles<<

About the same.

Efficiency of the antenna is proportional to the area under the current
distribution curve along the radiator.
That is from the tip down. In both cases you have the same situation,
difference would be only proportional to differences in ohmic loses at the
base, loading section or tuner.

If you want to have more efficient antenna, you need to "pull" the max current
portion as high as you can, which can be done by the loading coil 2/3 up the
radiator, or best, using the top loading hat/wires/L section.

I have used 3/8 wave resonant  radiator, 40 ft mast, with loading coil and L
It gets max current along the vertical mast and gives around 50 ohms at the
feedpoint, no matching (lossy) devices necessary.

More on loading coils, current distribution at
http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU