Re: Topband: Beverage versus K9AY versus short verticals

To: <doktorij@bellsouth.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage versus K9AY versus short verticals
From: "John Rogers" <johnr1g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:17:42 +0100
> I have enough room to lay out a short beverage(s) of about 300'
> It most likely will be a BOG as well with minimal seperation from the Tx
vertical(s). Seperation may be as little as 10', definitely no more than
60'.
> Julius  n2wn

I use a 3ft high 350ft E-W beverage only 20ft behind my shunt fed 160m
vertical and in practice it works well both in real terms and in comparison
with 650ft beverages 1000ft out in clear.
Obviously the longer beverages are better, but only by up to an S point or
so in s/n in their optimum directions and condx, normally less.
A K9AY is likely to have more interaction with your tx vertical, but then if
you detune your vertical phased K9AYs should work well (in theory better
than the beverage) also. Tom W8JI's web page has very useful data for
comparing these antennas.
73's
John G3PQA