Re: Topband: Grounded Tower

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>,"'Jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Grounded Tower
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 21:27:57 -0400
> Jim Jarvis writes:
>
>> I disagree.  There is data to the contrary...that is,
>> that a
>> few elevated radials work better than an insufficient
>> on/in
>> ground system.  I am sure this depends on the
>> conductivity of
>> the earth involved, to some degree.
>
> Jim, you've opened a real can of worms.
>
> You can't say there is "data" to the contrary ... there
> may be
> legend, anecdote or even model studies but there are no
> validly
> conducted field strength studies that show elevated
> radials to
> outperform a reasonable (16 - 32 radials) in ground system
> when
> the length of the in ground radials are "sufficient"
> (e.g.,

W7EL and myself just finished measuring radials (we stopped
at 32 radials for now) and ground conductivity using a
single probe measurement method on 7 MHz. The entire
exercise will be an article. There is a lot to learn from
what we saw. We included base impedance measurements with
precision test gear (my HP impedance test set) and FS
measurements with a  Rohde and Schwartz field strength meter
and did some radial current and dipole impedance
measurements.

As many recall, I measured 80 meters at two different
locations, here and near Conyers, GA. My earlier tests
showed about 12-16 buried radials were about equal to 4
elevated radial system that was carefully tuned and used a
feedline choke

In the meantime, three thoughts to keep in mind:

1.) Don't depend on base impedance to tell you if your
antenna's ground system is good. Forget that idea!

2.) If you have a choice between 16 buried radials and a
good system of four elevated radials with good feedline
isolation, pick whichever you find easiest to maintain and
install.

3.) I'd be very cautious about using the simple Internet
program from a G4's web site to predict vertical efficiency,
at least for the moment.

I hope within the next week or two to pull a full ground of
60 or more radials in that system, but the dirt is pretty
hard and the weather is near 100 degrees in the daytime.

73 Tom