Re: Topband: Many Beverages on a small lot

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Many Beverages on a small lot
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:50:18 -0400
From: df9ox@gmx.de
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:13:36 +0200

GE/GA/GM all,

mni tnx for all the answers, very helpful, and I will change my design a bit.

my old idea:

http://www.df9ox.com/pics/_temp/GE_Jtorf_kpl_02.jpg

and my newest one:

http://www.df9ox.com/pics/_temp/GE_Jtorf_kpl_03.jpg

changes are:

- old F2 (85°) is gone, I will feed the 90°/270° Beverage now from both ends,
switchable. No longer bidirectional. (Jeff, right
u are!! And next winter with 100mW? Lsn
fr u also...:-)...)

- F1 (bidirectional 65°/245°) is longer now

- F4/5/6 got a common crossing-point (C1), that
will make it easier to fix the distance
between the wires.

- I added F8 as a bidirectional one (10°/190°).
But I don´t know, whether Polar-passes
are really of interest. No experience. But it covers SSW a bit more.

The whole coverage now on the worldmap from North-DL:

http://www.df9ox.com/pics/_temp/_JO53_bev_v01_80m.jpg

It is the coverage for 80m with Datas from ON4UN, 3dB beamwith for given wire
lengths. On 160m all will be brighter (or not? no experience).

Some other aspects, questions:

1 - 2 wire beverages with one coax-feed (with an
transformer on the other end) might
be a problem here. It is a temporary installation
at all, I have to remove it in spring,
hopefully every spring...:-)...
Is the exact and constant distance between the two wires a critical point?

2 - Ground-rods: Is pur iron also ok, or is
developing corrosion/Oxidation a problem?

3 - the lot is not really fenced anymore against
animals. And yes, some deers, but small
ones are here. I will make the Bevs with visable
wire. The deers are used to it (white
electrical fence), I have seen them b4 jumping
above, not touching them. 1m agl they
were, and will be the Bevs. Uncommon, but I try to use my observation.

4 - well, I have some bidirectional bevs in plan,
so I will hold on >10m distance between
feedpoints. For an Option, might be I will give
them an extra relay for grounding unused
Bevs. Without that extra relay unused Bevs will
"flow" in the air. Should be ok?

5 - is it ok in practice to use a bunch of coal
1/2W resistors, a lot >10W at all, for
termination? Junk-Box needs free room!

Bill, yes, you have seen the probs in this small
country. All that past 6 years I have seen
that fantastic ground east of my garden, played
by horses. 2004/2005 I ran for only one
month a 160m long Bev WITHOUT transformer, E-W, unterminated, with vy good
results on 80 and 160 to east (9V1GO), but not
west. May be a prob of coupling on the
tower, which is direct in that west-QTF.
I have some 250m white electrical fence wire, but
will use it only for optical reasons.
Not sure, what I will use as wire. I have some
Kilometers of 0.6mm copper, but still
need something for optic. That 0.6mm is not
strong enough for deers and to dangerous
for visitors, because nearly unvisable.
Beldon 9907: mmmh, 300m are laying here, useless.
But u are right, CATV-cable is
cheap, well shielded, and 75Ohm do not play a rule. mmmh....
Ground-water: Yes, I know. plus/minus.... but no
choice. So the "Plus-point": maybe
short ground-rods are ok, but I will use 1.5m
long ones. They will be at the border of the
lot, I can leave them there (with flags on it to find them next autumn).

I will leave me always the option, to ground or
flow a Beverage or the Tower, with
relays. Not a big deal, but I can try to minimize or null interaction.

Mni tnx and vy 73,  André  DF9OX