Topband: radial systems

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: radial systems
From: "Rudy Severns" <rudys@ordata.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:04:45 -0700
In regard to Tom's comment that measurements of base impedance are not all
that indicative of ground loss or efficiency.

It turns out that that effect has been well known in theory as well as
practice from the work of James Wait and others since the late 50's.  What
their work showed is that there is an interaction between the radiation
resistance, as well as the loss resistance, as the number and length of
radials changed.  The effect gets larger the poorer the soil.  What can
happen is that as you add more radials, the ground loss resistive component
goes down gradually but the radiation resistance may actually drop as well,
even going below the accepted "36 Ohm" value, and then rise again.  When you
measure base impedance you are getting the sum of the two plus of course any
conductor loss.  Sometimes when you think you've made a substantial
improvement in the ground loss resistance you may have actually depressed
the radiation resistance, so the improvement in efficiency is not as great
as you think.  Since the efficiency is the ratio of Rr to Rr+Rg, you can see
how misleading things can get if both of these are dancing around.

If anyone is interested, contact me off  the reflector and I'll give you the