Topband: Regarding ==> Thoughts on making low resistance jointsbetween p

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Regarding ==> Thoughts on making low resistance jointsbetween pieces of AL
From: "Dick and Adele Bingham" <binghamstehekin@starband.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:01:29 -0700
Greetings everyone -

I have used the following process to make soldered connections to Aluminum
using regular PC-board solder:

 1 - Remove the oxidized surface by polishing/filing/sandpapering/etc
 2 - Immediately after de-oxidizing, coat the surface with oil (I use 10W30
       motor oil)
 3 - Heat the surface using the biggest soldering iron you can find. While
you are
       heating the aluminum, constantly abrade the aluminum surface with
the S-I-
       tip to maintain an active (non-oxidized) surface below the oil-film
air-
       barrier.
 4 - Once the aluminum is sufficiently hot, start applying the solder and
continue
       scrubbing the al-surface with the S-I tip
 5 - Eventually you will see the solder flow and bond to the aluminum at
which
       point you are done. Puddle-up a solder-ball to simplify making
soldered
      connections later.

I have used this method and after several years of being outside in the
weather
seven miles from the ocean, there was no deterioration/corrosion at these
connections.

73 -
Dick - w7wkr  CN98pi

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html