Re: Topband: Base Insulators for Verticals

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>,Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Base Insulators for Verticals
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com> wrote:

Using three separate insulators, one in each leg of a guyed tower, is about
the WORST possible approach.

--- Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com> wrote:

It's very important the base be able to rock and slightly twist on
some form of pivot without doing anything but placing the
insulator under compression.

---

I agree and I felt very uncomfortable with the tower leg insulators for that
reason. Tower leg insulators seem to be the only type readily available to
hams.

I can fabricate a full pivot base.  The base is free to rotate (slightly) in
the x, y and z planes.  I could then mount the leg insulators above the base.
How does that sound?

Mike W8GT