Re: Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...

To: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:17:07 -0500
At 07:08 AM 9/13/2006, Ed Swynar wrote:
>Good Morning All,
>
>My question is to anyone who may have ever used RG-6 "satellite TV" foam
>coaxial cable in their antenna system(s)...

Ed,

I use RG-6 "satellite TV" foam cable extensively for all of my various
Beverages and other receive antennas on 160, with runs up to about 400
feet. I found it best to use high quality type-F connectors (Digicon) and
then use the appropriate adapter to mate with the connector style of
whatever device is next in line - pre-amp, coax switch, rig, etc.  You can
get these connectors from cable/satellite TV suppliers for around 35 cents
each or so, in quantity.  You'll also need to invest in a good quality
crimping tool as these use an entirely different fastening method from the
old, cheap crimp-on connectors the '"cable guy" uses on the drop to your
house. Can't be done with pliers.

I've had excellent results with no failures since installing a couple of
years ago. The Digicon connectors are touted as being waterproof, but I
never leave mine exposed to the weather.  Also, my experience with these is
receive only. Never used RG-6 foam for transmitting.

73,
Charles - K5ZK