Re: Topband: 80 meter bazooka

To: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>,"Topband 160" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 80 meter bazooka
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:17:39 -0500
Bob asks:

...snip...

> Does anyone know of a way I can use the Double Bazooka (or something) at
> least for stateside work on 160.
...snip...

>  73 fer nw,
> Bob AD5VJ(AAR6VM)

Bob,

I have seen a number of 'compromise' setups that work surprisingly well.  One
such method uses whatever antenna you have for the low bands.  If you take the
PL259 loose on the antenna port, leave the center conductor sticking into the
chassis, but slide back the 'nut' so that the shield is no longer connected to
the chassis of the rig, you have a make-shift vertical.  There is no need to
short the center to the shield, but that is what some folks do (it doesn't hurt
or help).  The RF will find it's own path.  The ground system attached to the
radio, along with all the house wiring attached to chassis, comprise the
counterpoise.  The feedline becomes the vertical, and whatever antenna is
hooked to it becomes toploading.  It's a method that would make Rube Goldberg
proud.  No doubt you will need a tuner, but it does work.

I've even heard of situations where the feedline actually runs along the ground
for some distance.  And still it works!  Can you run QRO?  I seriously doubt
the rest of your shack can handle all that RF.  But at 50-100W, what can it
hurt to give it a try?  The great thing about 160M antennas is that they simply
want to radiate.  Put enough wire above ground and it will radiate.

Have fun!

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com