Re: Topband: Wood vs PVC on Loops ect

To: rtnmi@sbcglobal.net, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wood vs PVC on Loops ect
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:24:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2006 6:04:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rtnmi@sbcglobal.net writes:

Reading  about the various loops and other antennas as well I am reading a
lot about  using PVC as the separator and  boom arms.

I don't have but one  piece of PVC and it is only about 3.5' long.

So I was wondering since I  didn't find anything on it why wood (which I have
plenty of and can cut to  length) would not work for the
boom and/or separator arms on these  antennas.

Does it somehow interfere?

73 fer nw,
Bob  AD5VJ(AAR6VM)

Are you referring to Pennants and Flags? If so I have made them with all
wooden supports with no problem but I don't let the vertical wires get too
close
- when it snows and ices up it will cause detuning and issues.  A great
support for these antennas is those collapsable fibreglass masts - MFJ has a 33

ft one but it's almost 100.00 while there are other 20 ft versions for 25.00 -
World Radio sells those.  If you make a point feed Pennant you'll only need
one for the main support where the transformer would be and the point end can
be  secured with a rope from a tree.