Re: Topband: Noise Limiter Help (Paul J. Piercey

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise Limiter Help (Paul J. Piercey
From: "Uwe Koenneker, DL8OBF" <dl8obf@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:51:52 +0200
Paul, all,

Paul wrote: "Another local ham has an MFJ-1025 Noise Limiter and finds that
it works well. .... In reviewing this device, I found that Timewave also
makes one, the ANC-4 Noise Cancelling Device...."

I made some trials with an ANC-4 which I bought as "used". The trials were
done during our last fieldday. I was pretty much disappointed in my
experiments to phase antennas/ verticals. The ANC-4 started to overload at
S7-9 signals. Also the phase setting changed the gain of the device
significantly (several S-Units).

I havent´t compared my device against the MFJ. Additionally it may be "out
of spec" or simply broken. It even may behave more reliantly on very small
antennas with signal strengths below S4. But I decided to stop my
experiments with that device and go instead for some K9AY loops.

Vy 73
    Uwe, DL8OBF

HAM-Radio, when all else fails: www.intel.de/IEARS
My BLOG: http://de.blog.360.yahoo.com/dl8obf