Topband: radial length

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: radial length
From: robert briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:02:44 +1000
Over the years I have probably read most published articles re ground
radials.Yes,wouldn't it be great for all of us to be able to install the
ideal number of evenly spaced radials at the technically specified
length.I think that Joe Ham gets a bit paranoid about his perceived
radiation losses rather than putting in the best he can with what
material he can purloin from whatever sources,questionable or otherwise.
My 160 meter system is to all intents and purposes a joke.An old 40 foot
television push up mast with some coddled together bits and pieces to
make a form of top loading.As for the radials,well they consist of many
and various lengths of heavy insulated 7 strand power line drop wire
pinned to the ground and attached to a large copper plate at the base of
the antenna running in random directions around the compass.Had to use
heavy stuff in case the sheep get tangled up Hi..
Well this seems to work and I have often wondered if I had the means to
put up a more substantial radiator and the mandatory full set of 1/4
wavelength radials would things work any better than what I already am
using.I doubt it.
I go with Ed.Put in the best system you can at your place.Remember that
half the luck on topband is not the size of your antenna
installation,rather it is the conditions of 160 meter propagation at any
given time between your location and that rare DX station you have been
chasing for years.Persistence is the recipe for topband success and a
certain amount of insanity putting up with all the qrn is mandatory.I
have to go and take my tranquilisers now.
Good Dxing...Bob VK3ZL..